Facts & figures
- Area: 450,000 km² (174,000 sq. mi.), third largest country in Western Europe
Cultivated land: 8%
Lakes and rivers: 9%
Longest north-south distance: 1,574 km (978 mi.)
Longest east-west distance: 499 km (310 mi.)
- Capital: Stockholm.
- Population: 9 million inhabitants.
- Languages: Swedish; recognized minority languages: Sami (Lapp), Finnish, Meänkieli (Tornedalen Finnish), Yiddish, Romani Chib (a Gypsy language).
- Form of government: Constitutional monarchy, parliamentary democracy.
- Parliament: The Riksdag, with 349 members in one chamber .
- Religion: 82% belong to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sweden.
- Average life expectancy: men 77 years, women 82 years.
- Most important export goods: Paper products, electrical and computer equipment, motor vehicles, machinery, chemical products, pharmaceuticals, iron and steel, foodstuffs.
- Most important imported goods: Petroleum products, motor vehicles and accessories, machinery, electrical and computer equipment, foodstuffs, textile products, footwear.